Monday, June 13, 2011

Basic Pasta Sauce

All good pasta starts with an amazing basic sauce. Here's my meat recipe. I'm always changing it up based on what I have on hand and what I'm in the mood for.

Basic Tomato Sauce
1 - 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 - 6 oz. can of tomato paste
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion
2 tbsp. olive oil

1. Brown onion in a large pot with olive oil (you can also add 1-2 cloves of minced garlic). Add beef and cook until no longer pink.
2. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Fill each can once with water and add that to the pot.
3. Salt and pepper to taste. (You can also add oregano, basil, parsley, whatever you like!)
4. Simmer 2-3 hours, stirring every 15 minutes. Don't forget taste your sauce occasionally to make sure all your spices are balanced.

Serve with pasta or lasagna. This recipe is easily frozen. I usually make a double batch and freeze enough sauce for 1-2 months. A 12-16 ounce container is usually perfect for one family meal. I think I'll pull one of the freezer for dinner tomorrow!
Enjoy!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment